In 10 simple steps, anyone can get a good idea of the quality of the LEDs they are purchasing and how to compare them: this is what must be taken into account.
Below you will find the 10 fundamental points on which to evaluate a lamp with LED technology:
- ABSORBED POWER: It is measured in Watt (W) and in the power consumption of the device must be included the power supply of the power pack and that of the LED plate (which will have a lower value).
- Luminous FLOW: Measured in lumens, it is the amount of light emitted by the LED lamp. Very often in catalogues and price lists is indicated the flux of the LED plate (which is higher).
- LIGHT EFFICIENCY: It is equal to the ratio between the luminous flux (lm) emitted by the lamp and the power absorbed by the lamp itself. Luminous efficiency is measured in lumen/watt (lm/W). This is one of the most important performance parameters as many manufacturers report the data referred to the LED and not to the lamp.
- LIFE DURATION: The LEDs gradually decrease their initial luminous flux until it is completely depleted, this happens in a very long period. The “life duration” indicates the percentage of decay ofhttps://www.lpenergy.it/prodotti the luminous flux (parameter "L") referred to a certain number of hours of usage. e.g.: 50,000 L 80 - reached 50,000 hours of usage, the LED still provides 80% of the initial luminous flux.
- LIFE EXPECTANCY: The parameter "B" followed by a certain value indicates the percentage of components that, once reached a certain amount of hours of usage, do not maintain the declared luminous flux characteristics. e.g.: 50,000 L80 B20 - Once 50,000 hours of usage have been reached, 80% of the LED modules still provide 80% of the initial luminous flux.
- ENVIRONMENTAL TEMPERATURE: In order for the LED modules to function correctly, ensuring a long service life, limiting a decrease in the luminous flux over time and high luminous efficiency, they must be able to correctly dissipate the heat they generate. The quality of the components used and a good design of the lamp are of fundamental importance. The environment temperature directly affects the operating conditions of the LED (junction temperature) inside the lamp. When we talk about environment temperature, we refer to the temperature in the proximity of the lamp. Manufacturers declare performance specifications at different environment temperatures [Ta]. Always make sure that the “Ta” is compatible with the usage that will be made of the lamp.
- COLOR RENDERING INDEX (CRI): The Color Rendering Index (CRI) indicates how a light source (LED or not) can faithfully reproduce the colors of an illuminated object. The CRI is included in a scale from 0 to 100, where 0 is the minimum and 100 the maximum. It is true that the luminous efficiency decreases with increasing color rendering, generally there is a tendency to be between CRI 80 and CRI 89, except when a higher CRI is required.
- COLOR TEMPERATURE: It is expressed in Kelvin degrees (K) and indicates the shade of light. If the color temperature increases, the luminous efficiency increases.
- WARRANTY TIMES: Periods vary for each manufacturer, but it is equally true that manufacturers often place such tight clauses, that the customer is given a short-time-warranty or even no warranty at all. It is a good idea to check all the warranty terms carefully so as not to be deceived by "fake" long warranty periods.
- ORIGINS AND MATERIALS: a good quality lamp is not only represented by its brand. In fact, most sellers and manufacturers of lamps are limit their business to import only Chinese products that are are for the vast majority the result of cheap materials and labour. Checking the origin of a product is essential to avoid lamps that are not efficient as declared by the original manufacturers. Materials used by manufacturers are important as well, LEDs generate a good amount of heat and the use of plastics for the bodies of lamps must be avoided.
QUEST’ULTIMO PARAGRAFO (10) È DA RIVEDERE PERCHÈ PARLA DI PRODUTTORI CHE IMPORTANO PRODOTTI “PER LA MAGGIOR PARTE SCADENTI” DALLA CINA , OLTRE A DIRE CHE L’USO DI MATERIALI PLASTICI È ASSOLUTAMENTE SCONSIGLIATO PER UNA LAMPADA LED (ULTIMA RIGA)
To get an idea of how a quality product is built, click here